Who knew he could build his own golf cart (DIY golf cart)! But do you know how it is possible? Building a golf cart from scratch is something you can do because of the number of old people out there. These golf carts have an unbeatable quality, so they are simply sitting and waiting for the rust to do their job.
And it is these old golf carts that you can use to build a new one. By following the procedure step by step below, you will see how reliable and incredible they are to assemble. So let’s go immediately!
We all love golf carts, or at least most of us, but did you know that you can build your own golf cart from scratch?
Well, maybe not from scratch, but everything is possible.
One of the easiest ways to build your own golf cart is by using old battered golf carts in a yard waiting for rust to do its own thing.
Table of Contents
How to Build Your Cart from Scratch
Compared to the renovation of a car, building a custom golf car is very easy. You can order the parts and make your car completely from scratch. This will definitely take more time and skill.
If you are more a visual learner, you can check out a YouTube channel, titled DIY Golf Cart, which is dedicated to show people how to build and repair their golf carts.
If you really want to build your car from scratch, you can even build your own golf cart engine. According to DIY experts, building a golf cart engine is quite simple. In fact, you only need:
- A ruler
- A centrifugal clutch or power converter
- A motorcycle engine or lawnmower.
- Some keys
- A screwdriver
They also offer a complete breakdown of how to build the engine.
The easiest way to build your custom cart is to choose what you want and have someone else build it for you. That way, you save time but you get a design that you love. On many of the websites that offer custom golf cart kits, all you have to do is choose your basic design and then add all the components you want. You can choose the color, the tires, any additional features you want.
You can practically recreate something beautiful from an old, forgotten and still golf cart.
- Finding an unusable golf cart is the first step. There are numerous, especially in golf communities, and anyone will be willing to separate from it. Ideally, choose a golf cart that is not too sold out to facilitate your task.
- The next step is to build your own golf cart kit to disassemble the golf cart in different parts. Be careful since some of these parts have resale value, and it is not so bad to sell some of them that you will not use.
A gas golf cart will not require a significant amount of subsequent reconstruction as its electric motor counterpart. Remember to remove the battery shelf.
- Clean the frame carefully and repaint if necessary. You do not need to do much about it if you are already in good condition. Install the engine mount and secure it in place. It is where the engine will be.
- Make the necessary wiring for the accelerator, radio, lighting and audio. It is also at this point that you install the renewed rear axle along with the suspension. The suspension kit includes lifting blocks, spindles and lifting brackets. All these should be of good quality to avoid problems later.
- If you have done all of the above correctly, sliding on the engine will be a simple exercise. Screw it into place and continue with the next step.
- It is not difficult to place the rear of the vehicle and you should not worry about it. Leave some functional spaces on top of the hangers to provide adequate clearance. This action prevents the rubbing of tires and suspension.
Now is the time to work on the front of the golf cart.
- Keep in mind that the management team must always be in its original place. You can still make some changes and customization, but it is not recommended. Ideally, use spindles as they make the process easy. They do the uprising, a walk in the park.
- The next step is to install the improved brakes in the golf cart. Be careful and always do it the right way, as it will handle a significant amount of golf cart weight, plus additional engine power.
With spindles, suspension and shock absorbers in place, the front is almost good. Consider the most appropriate graphics for you. This is where your personal preferences will come in.
- The graphics part is where you play with creativity. However, you should be careful unless you want to stand out negatively. Nobody wants their golf cart to be the subject of jokes and satires. A combination of bright and white colored graphics on the front will be enough.
Do not deviate too much from what is standard. Ideally, go with vinyl graphics, as it is possible to remove it later when necessary.
- It is time to install the wheels, and this process will not take too long. The combination of tires and wheels makes the process more comfortable, and gives your car some traction to handle the slippery surface, effortlessly.
- Replace the body in the chassis and work on electrical components such as audio and lighting. Remember that the LED light should be as bright as possible to be visible at night.
- After the whole lot is in place, it is time to take the golf cart for a ride. Make sure it is stable and does not wobble. Also, watch for any funny sounds, such as rubbing metal against the tire.
The golf cart construction process is undoubtedly exciting. You don’t have to worry about speed and control whenever you want to follow the steps above.
If you are a DIY fan and you like to do things in your garage, doing the golf cart will be like taking a walk in the neighborhood.
Choosing the Best Product for Your Money
What types of engine can I use in my DIY golf cart?
The fun part is that you can use the engine of any motor-driven Utilities, such as a lawnmower, a chainsaw and a water pump. This should not be hard to find, but there are some considerations.
Ideally, you should choose an engine rating of more than ten horsepower. It would be unfortunate if your golf cart cannot handle some of the hills on the golf course or in your neighborhood.
The cooling system is another important consideration when choosing an engine: the two main types of cooling that you can choose to include air and fluid. The fluid drive is stronger, but you will need some skills to install it the right way.
My DIY golf cart does not start
It doesn’t always mean that something is dead just because it won’t start by turning the key. Make sure the golf cart battery has enough power before making any decision.
Sometimes, understanding the mechanics of a deep cycle battery is essential, it is something small that can cause a significant amount of problems.
For example, charging a highly discharged battery is not a simple task. Understand how to extend battery life.
If the load is correct, verify that the wiring does not have loose connections. Corrosion and dirt can also cause connection problems, so it is also vital to verify this. Use sandpaper or wire brush to remove corrosion or dirt.
How do I move my DIY golf cart?
There are several ways to move your DIY golf cart from the workshop to another area. If driving the golf cart is hectic or not possible at this time, you have the option of transporting it using a van or even a trailer.
Do not forget to tie it securely to avoid undesirable movements.
Can I drive my DIY golf cart on a main road or highway?
Answering this is complicated because it depends on the laws of the state and the municipality. The rules vary by district and state, and you cannot give a definitive answer to this question. Check local laws before making any decision to drive on a main road.
You should also remember that there is a federal standard for legal street golf carts. Generally, the golf cart should have a brake light, taillight, headlights, a maximum speed of 25 mph and reflectors. The golf cart must also have the windshield of the appropriate quality.
Low speed vehicles are another category that your DIY golf cart can fit.
However, you will need a 17-digit number and comply with other legal requirements of street vehicles to register as a motor vehicle.
Other essential specifications include the use of the car on the street with signs indicating 35 miles per hour or less.
You will find that there are residential neighborhoods where the municipal council does not enforce the rules. Authorities can ignore golf carts in those places, and you can decide to take advantage of this. However, do it at your own risk.
What is the correct way to water your golf cart batteries?
Keeping water from deep cycle batteries at the correct level is essential to ensure its durability. As a general rule, never let the electorate level go below the top of the plates. Exposed plates are more likely to be unusable before.
Do not add water before charging, but after charging.
Adding water before a refill can cause the acid to spill and cause corrosion on the surface of the metal plates. Leave a clearance of approximately half an inch up when adding water.
How much does it cost to build a golf cart?
The total cost of building a golf cart battery depends on a variety of factors that include the cost of the old housing. This is where your negotiation skills are most useful. A second-hand unusable golf cart should not cost you too much.
Other equipment, such as vinyl graphics, a new set of wheels, headlights, electrical installation and additional parts for the body can increase the cost.
However, keep in mind that the DIY golf cart will cost you less to build than to buy a new one.
What makes a golf cart run?
One of the critical factors that make golf carts work is the engine. A powerful and efficient engine will contribute to the speed and constant and efficient movement of your golf cart.
Other factors include wheel size, cooling system and battery status.
The larger the wheels, the lower the revolutions required to cover a particular distance compared to the smaller wheels. A well maintained battery works better and contributes to better movement.
How do you find the year of a Club Car golf cart?
You must first find the serial number of the golf cart that is usually located on the passenger side of the glove compartment. It is usually in the kick panel.
This is how you build your own golf cart: from scratch. If you follow the instructions correctly, you will not have to worry about the speed and control of the vehicle. In addition, the task of building a golf cart from scratch is also fun and exciting.
The chances of succeeding on the first attempt itself are quite high. So don’t think about the reasons why it won’t work. Instead, read our step-by-step instructions once again and start working on your homemade golf cart immediately.
Have you ever tried to build a car on your own? If so, how did you do everything? And it worked?
We would love to know your experiences. So feel free to leave your thoughts and comments below.
We hope that the content has been useful and that the instructions are elaborated. Let us know if there is something important that we forget to add.